Google Search Perspectives: What it is and how to optimize for it
Google is getting personal with their Perspectives filter that adds social media content to search results. Find out how to optimize your content to have a shot at being featured.
Updated February 27, 2024.
- Google's Perspectives filter incorporates unique experiences and authentic opinions into search results.
- Perspectives includes social media content from platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Perspectives delivers a more subjective, personalized search experience.
- Brands should optimize their content for social media to rank on Perspectives.
Google's Perspectives filter aims to incorporate social content directly into search results, providing users with a more subjective and personalized discovery experience. This additional filter option contains videos, tweets, Reddit threads, and other user-generated content showing authentic perspectives.
Brands who incorporate Perpectives into their content strategy have an opportunity to reach new audiences and increase their traffic. Let's explore how it all works and what you can do to get your content to appear on Perspectives.
What is Google Perspectives?
You can find Perspectives under the search bar next to the other filter options when searching on the Google app. Tapping on this filter displays a personalized feed of primarily user-generated video content and social media posts that share authentic, first-hand experiences and opinions based on your search.
Unlike Google's traditional ranking system that shows the most objectively popular results, Perspectives aims to showcase more unique perspectives gathered organically from platforms like YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, and Twitter.
You'll find the following content types in the Perspectives filter:
- YouTube videos
- TikToks, Instagram reels, and YouTube shorts
- Posts from Twitter and Instagram
- Forum discussions from Reddit and Quora
- Blog articles
While a regular search for "best running shoes" might display Nike as the top result, Perspectives might show you lesser-known options based on others' opinions on TikTok, YouTube, forum discussions, or other social platforms.
Ranking within this new feed works differently than traditional Google Search. Brands must now optimize for authenticity, quality, and resonating with users' personal preferences.
» Convert organic traffic into sales with our conversion rate optimization software.
How to get your content in Google Search Perspectives
While Google hasn't shared any specifics on Perspectives' algorithms, we can make informed assumptions based on their goals to showcase helpful content from people with personal experience.
Optimizing your content for Perspectives isn't too different from creating high-quality social media content. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Focus on video first: Rich media is what Perspectives is looking for. Using video as your first port-of-call is a winning approach to getting seen on the Perspectives tab.
- Partner with content creators and experts: It can be a bit tricky to find the right creator for your brand, but it can yield worthwhile results when done well.
- Create and engage with your brand's community: Making your presence known on social media is key with Perspectives. Encourage users to create content about your products. Comment on and share UGC to increase engagement on your social platforms.
- Use first-person perspective: Perspectives focuses on content from first-hand experience. First-person language signals to Google that what you're discussing is based on authentic firsthand insights.
- Get personal reviews from your customers: Asking users to engage with your brand on social media is good. Getting them to share real positive reviews is better. Encourage user-generated reviews to get on Perspectives organically.
- Make sure your content is authentic: AI content tends to be cookie-cutter and repeats much of the same information found on the web. To provide real value, you must produce authentic content based on your brand's expertise.
While Perspectives is still new, brands should concentrate on optimizing their content for social media. If your content does well there, chances are it'll do well on Perspectives.
Adapt to personalized Search with Perspectives
Search is changing, and the future of content—not just for Perspectives—involves creating high-quality, engaging pieces that feel personalized, authentic, and more aligned with user-generated content.
As this shift continues, there are more opportunities for brands to connect with their audiences in new and authentic ways. Whether you manage to rank on Perspectives or not, prioritizing high-value content across platforms will always pay off, especially as Google moves further down the sales funnel.
Create content you can be proud of and let it organically reach the people who will love it.
» Learn how to monetize your expertise with social media videos.